What does SC Student Loan Corporation (SCSLC) do with your personal information?
Financial companies choose how they share your personal information. Federal law gives consumers the right to limit some but not all sharing. Federal law also requires us to tell you how we collect, share and protect your personal information. Please read this notice carefully to understand what we do.
The types of personal information we collect and share depend on the product or service you have with us. This information can include:
- Social security number and income
- Account balance and transaction history
- Credit history and credit scores
- Employment information
When you are no longer our customer, we continue to share your information as described in this notice.
All financial companies need to share customers’ personal information to run their everyday business. In the section below, we list the reasons financial companies can share their customers’ personal information; the reasons SCSLC chooses to share; and whether you can limit this sharing.
|Reasons we can share your personal information
|Does SCSLC share?
|Can you limit this sharing?
|For everyday business purposes – such as to process your transactions, maintain your account(s), respond to court orders and legal investigations or report to credit bureaus
|For our marketing purposes – to offer our products and services to you
|For joint marketing with other financial companies
|For our affiliates' everyday business purposes - information about your transactions and experiences.
|For our affiliates' everyday business purposes - information about your creditworthiness
|We don't share
|For our affiliates to market to you
|We don't share
|For our non-affiliates to market to you
|We don't share
Call SCSLC at (800) 347-2752.
Who is providing this notice?
SC Student Loan Corporation (SCSLC)
How does SCSLC collect my personal information?
We collect your personal information, for example, when you
- apply for a loan or give us your contact information
- pay your bills or provide us with your employment history
- give us your income information
We also collect your personal information from others, such as credit bureaus, affiliates or other companies.
How does SCSLC protect my personal information?
To protect your personal information from unauthorized access and use, we use security measures that comply with federal law. These measures include computer safeguards and secure files and buildings. We also maintain other physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect this information and we limit access to information to those employees for whom access is necessary for the performance and support of our everyday business purposes.
Why can't I limit sharing?
Federal law gives you the right to limit only
- sharing for affiliates’ everyday business purposes – information about your creditworthiness
- affiliates from using your information to market to you
- sharing for non-affiliates to market to you
State laws and individual companies may give you additional rights to limit sharing. See below for more on your rights under state law.
Affiliates: Companies related by ownership or control. They can be financial and non-financial companies.
- SCSLC has no affiliates with whom it shares.
Non-affiliates: Companies not related by ownership or control. They can be financial and non-financial companies.
- SCSLC does not share information with non-affiliates so they can market to you.
Joint marketing: A formal agreement between non-affiliated financial companies that together market financial products or services to you.
- SCSLC does not participate in joint marketing.
Other important information
You may have other privacy protections under some state laws. We will comply with all applicable state laws as to information about you, including medical information.
- Accounts with Alaska, Illinois, Maryland Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Jersey or North Dakota addresses. We will not share personal information with non-affiliates either for them to market to you or for joint marketing without your prior authorization.
- Accounts with California addresses. We will not share personal information with non-affiliates either for them to market to you or for joint marketing without your prior authorization. We will also limit our sharing of personal information about you with our affiliates to comply with California privacy laws that apply to us.
- Accounts with Vermont addresses. These accounts will be treated as if you opted out of sharing information among our affiliates and opted of joint marketing arrangements.